Starting a Business
Starting a business can be a daunting proposition. You start with an idea that you think will work and you have the energy and commitment required. But that idea has been to be converted into a substantial plan of action and this is where we can help. In our team we have highly qualified professionals who have a broad range of experience in business and proven success at senior levels in industry. They can work with you on developing your ideas and building the financial model to lead the way to success.
Supporting them is a compliance team that can set up the company for you and guide you through the legal requirements.
How we can help you:
- Deciding upon the most appropriate structure for your business - sole trader, partnership, limited company?
- Preparing a strategic plan, budgets and cash flow forecasts to demonstrate the financial viability of your proposition.
- Advising you about VAT registration - is this necessary or beneficial?
- Guiding you through accounting systems and processes or handling all this on your behalf.
- Carrying out registration procedures - Companies House and HMRC - and undertaking company secretarial duties.
We pride ourselves on our empathetic approach - we know how tough it can be to start a business and we are there to work alongside you. We consider your success to be our success. Contact us for a free initial consultation with one of our Directors.
It all starts with bookkeeping, the basis for your financial accounts, management accounts and year-end accounts. Put simply bookkeeping is the capture of the financial transactions of a sole-trader or company.
It sounds a little prosaic but there are strict rules that have to be followed (the famed 'double-entry' system) to produce accurate transactional accounts. Our bookkeepers have a wealth of experience and an in-depth knowledge of finance systems. This means they can produce accounts accurately and speedily. Keeping good records helps enormously (and keeps the cost down) and you can be assured of the correctness of your accounts while you get on with doing what you do best - running your business. We can provide you with 'boilerplate' spreadsheets to help you to manage the financial ins and outs of your business.
We can work on your figures from our offices in Marlow and Central London or can come to your offices within Greater London and the Thames Valley.
- Transaction processing using desktop or web-based accounting software based upon your records.
- Bank reconciliations and maintenance of key balance sheet control accounts such as supplier and customer ledgers.
- Preparation of VAT returns.
- Advice on records handling and storage.
- Cover for short-term absences.
At Pink we pride ourselves on providing accurate and detailed management reports tailored to our clients’ particular requirements. It's important to us that the information you need to run your business is clearly and easily presented. We will spend time with you understanding your business so we get this right first time and will continue to work with you to develop the pack as your business develops over time. To run your business properly you need to understand where you have come from but also have a view of where you are going.
Our reports are widely respected by banks and professional advisors and are often use to secure funding.
The packs enable our clients to focus on their own expertise and also highlight any particular areas that may not be producing the correct results.
- Trended information so you can map the development of your business over time.
- Actual result blended seamlessly into forecasts to produce rolling 12 month, 2 year, 5 year trends.
- Comparisons to budget, forecast and prior year.
- Cash flow forecasting - vital to the short to medium term health of the business.
- Value-added metrics - break-even, profitability by sector, IRR, ROI etc.
- Graphically representation of key metrics.
Year-end Accounts for Companies
A major commitment all companies make upon formation is to submit annual accounts to Companies House along with the consequent corporation tax submission to HMRC. Most small to medium sized companies do not have to submit audited accounts but the requirement for them to present a true and fair view of the company's financial position remains in place.
Keeping good books and records will help the process. But getting the final submitted accounts right requires the input of highly experienced or qualified accountants. The rules of accountancy can be complex and the demand upon all qualified accountants for continual education (a condition of membership) means we really do have to know what we are doing!
Our work will begin with direct contact from your dedicated senior accountant. We'll check that we understand your business and review any work that we have done for you in the past. If you are a new client we will spend longer making sure we have all the background we need. Our compliance team will call in the necessary paperwork - current and deposit account statements, customers & supplier invoices, etc.
We will transform these records into a set of financial accounts acceptable to Companies House but they will not be submitted before we are certain you are happy with them. A phone conversation may be enough or we'll schedule a meeting at either of our offices or yours. When you're happy we'll 'press the button' and you are legal.
- Good record keeping keeps the costs down.
- If we do your bookkeeping routinely this reduces year end costs further.
- We always try to be cost competitive.
- We will always take time to explain what we have, why we have done it and the benefits that we expect to accrue.
Payroll administration has become an increasingly complex affair with the introduction of Real Time Information (RTI) and the demands upon all but the smallest businesses to run pension plans for their employees. The days when a set of tax tables was enough to run a payroll are long gone.
The issues surrounding P11d benefits and the most tax efficient way of rewarding staff adds another layer of complexity. Our payroll and tax teams sit within the same organisation under our Tax Director so that so that we can exploit any synergies that derive from these associated disciplines.
Above all we will ensure that your employees' payroll is captured accurately and we will provide you with a schedule of payments to be made to both employees and HMRC. We can also offer a bureau service where we will make payments on your behalf, directly to you employees but this is subject to certain financial considerations. Contact us to find out more.
- Preparation of payroll slips - weekly, fortnightly or monthly.
- Administration of payroll and submission of RTI.
- Administration of PAYE, National Insurance, SSP, SMP, etc.
- Payment of employee salaries directly to their bank accounts.
- Calculation of commission/bonus payments.
- Calculation of ex-gratia and termination payments.
- P11d benefit calculation.
- Annual P60 returns.
- Pension auto-enrolment administration.
Accuracy and confidentiality can be assured. We run UK payrolls from sole-trader to multi-billion dollar companies.
Our Company Secretarial services are all focussed on keeping you legal. Company legislation is constantly changing and trying to keep abreast of the shifts in filing requirements is a full-time job. We suspect you have better things to do with your time.
Pink's Company Secretarial team are mapped into all the latest legislative requirements coming out of HMRC and Companies House along with any changes made at governmental level to the Companies Act.
We will always contact you well in advance of any filing requirement and let you know what we need from you to be able to meet the deadline.
Our Company Secretarial service includes:
- Company formation.
- Registered Office at our head office in Marlow.
- Filing of Annual Return.
- VAT registration
- Company restructuring.
- General advice on company law.
Business Tax Planning
Our team of professionally qualified tax experts have a breadth and depth of experience in all aspect of UK accounting. There is no area of tax planning where we cannot give you the most up to date advice to help you to save money.
The team keep abreast of all changes to tax law and apply innovative approaches to ensure you pay the correct amount of tax at the right time. It's important to us that we do not simply take the numbers that you provide and feed them into the tax submission systems we manage. Our job is to ensure that no opportunity for saving tax is missed.
Furthermore, we will work with you on tax planning opportunities for the future. We will look into the structure of the business, where profits are taken, the shareholding of directors etc. We advise you of the pros and cons of VAT registration and ensure that your business meets the compliance requirements of HMRC but with you in control.
Personal Tax Planning
The tax environment under which we all operate is increasingly complex. The main rates of income tax and special rates applying to dividends, saving, trusts, etc. are ever evolving. The deductions and reliefs applicable to tax-payers need to be understood to make sure we pay no more tax than necessary. In our team we have those with significant experience working within HMRC and newly qualified advisors with access to the latest legislation and a range of tools to simplify the whole self-assessment process.
The impact of HMRC's tax compliance activities continues to increase. Last year HMRC collected and secured £27 billion from compliance work - more than any other year and significantly higher than the prior year. Their developed computer systems are able to look into most aspects of our financial affairs and investigations are initiated on an increasingly random basis.
The quality of your record keeping and the professionalism of your accountants is no guarantee of avoiding investigation. The good news is that we are here to support you through what can be a very worrying and time-consuming exercise should it arise. Also, we are able to offer a service, for a fixed fee, that will ensure that if you are investigated the cost of our time working on your behalf will be covered. We charge an annual fee for companies and individuals that will give you some peace of mind. Contact our Finance Director by email - email@example.com for more details.
- Tax compliance.
- Computerised preparation of your tax returns - company, sole trader and personal.
- Calculation of tax liability.
- Submission of completed returns to HMRC.
- Calculation of future liabilities.
- Providing information to HMRC in your behalf
- Support during tax investigations.
- Tax planning.